Giving Planned Giving
A planned gift to Hilbert College helps to ensure the future growth and success of programs for our students as well as for the community. Planned gifts include gifts of life insurance, gifts through your will, charitable remainder trusts, and charitable lead trusts.
You may purchase a life insurance policy with Hilbert as the beneficiary or transfer benefits from an existing policy.
You can make a charitable gift by bequest in your will. Like life insurance policies, bequests do not provide immediate cash contributions, but may be very beneficial to the long-term financial health of Hilbert.
Charitable Remainder Trusts (CRT)
A CRT is an irrevocable trust that provides for and maintains two sets of beneficiaries. In simplest terms, a CRT benefits the donor (and spouse, if married) during their lifetime, and Hilbert after you pass away.
Charitable Lead Trusts
By establishing a Charitable Lead Trust, you direct income to Hilbert for a period of years, with the principal eventually returning to you as the donor or to a spouse or relative.
Advantages of planned giving include:
- Making a larger charitable gift than you thought possible.
- A reasonable and reliable rate of return on low-yielding assets.
- Minimizing capital gains tax.
- An immediate charitable income tax deduction.
- Removal of assets from an estate and tax savings for heirs.
- Continual personal use of an asset with promise for a future gift.
- Enhanced value to assets other than cash when gifts are funded by:
- Appreciated securities
- Real estate
- Closely held stock
- Life insurance
To learn more about planned giving opportunities, contact:
Associate Vice President for Development
(716) 649-7900, ext. 300