- Do I have to take special honors courses?
- How many students are in the honors program?
- What is required to stay in the honors program?
- What happens if my GPA falls below a 3.5?
- What are some of the benefits of being in the honors program?
- Is special housing available for honors students?
- Will I automatically be admitted to the honors program if I'm accepted at Hilbert and meet honors admission criteria?
- As an honors student, can I register early for classes?
- What do students do to fulfill their community service requirement?
- How will having been in the honors program benefit me after graduation?
- If I do not quality for entry when first admitted to Hilbert, can I get into the honors program later?
- Are transfer students eligible for the honors program?
- What is the connection between the honors and elder scholars programs?
- Will there be anything special on my diploma or transcript that indicates I was an honors student?
1. Do I have to take special honors courses?
No, the program allows you to enroll in regular classes and fulfill honors credit requirements by doing advanced work, or in lieu of projects, designed by the professors teaching your classes.
3. What is required to stay in the honors program?
You must maintain a minimum 3.5 grade point average, maintain full-time status, and complete the necessary community service. You must also show satisfactory progress toward the completion of honors-related coursework.
4. What happens if my GPA falls below a 3.5?
If your GPA falls below the required 3.5, you will be placed on probation in the honors program and given an opportunity to bring your GPA up to 3.5. Once that happens, you will be removed from probation.
5. What are some of the benefits of being in the honors program?
There are several benefits to being an honors student, including personal advisement and one-on-one interaction with faculty, priority registration for all your classes, access to a private lounge with computers, and additional library privileges. You will also gain a sense of community with your fellow honors students and Hilbert's elder scholars participants, a 50 and older group who have a chance to play a mentoring role in your learning experience at Hilbert.
6. Is special housing available for honors students?
No, special housing is not available for honors students. However, honors students have access to a private lounge area with computers for studying and to work on projects.
7. Will I automatically be admitted to the honors program if I'm accepted at Hilbert and meet honors admission criteria?
Acceptance into the honors program is not automatic. You must submit an application, a one to three page self-assessment narrative, and a letter of recommendation from a professor, teacher or person who is familiar with your leadership qualities. If you are a new student, you must apply to Hilbert before or at the same time as applying to the honors program.
9. What do students do to fulfill their community service requirement?
The type of community service work varies. Some work for nationally recognized organizations, like Hospice, Big Brothers/Big Sisters or Habitat for Humanity. Others get involved in local service projects at hospitals, skilled nursing facilities, libraries, homeless shelters, or places of worship.
10. How will having been in the honors program benefit me after graduation?
As a Hilbert honors student, you will have access to educational opportunities designed to foster your long-term intellectual and personal growth. Your participation will enhance your potential on-the-job and at the graduate school level.
13. What is the connection between the honors and elder scholars programs?
One of the most distinct aspects of the honors program is the link between honors students and participants in the Elder Scholars Program, which is geared to a contingent age 50 and older. The two groups meet in formal and informal settings where elder scholars have a chance to play a mentoring role in your learning experience at Hilbert.
14. Will there be anything special on my diploma or transcript that indicates I was an honors student?
Successful completion of the honors program will be indicated on your Hilbert diploma and transcript.
- Lloyd Taco Truck
- Sep 30, 2014
- Franciscan Wisdom: Seeing Creation with New Eyes
- Sep 30, 2014
- Don't Be: How to Live Life Outside the Zone
- Sep 30, 2014