Collaboration. Mentorship. Exploration.
What is an Internship?
Potential employers are increasingly interested in hiring graduates who have had meaningful real-world work experience. Hilbert recognizes the need to prepare its students with hands-on, practical work experience while providing a valuable resource to radio and television stations, government agencies, nonprofit organizations, newspapers, libraries, or businesses. Our student-interns may also complete teacher assistantships in film, literature, composition, and primary education. Using a broad and ever growing network of internship sites, all types of organizations tailor internships to our English students' needs.
Offered your senior year, internships take place either during the fall or spring semester and you'll receive academic credit for your efforts. This is your chance to make contributions to an organization and to demonstrate your potential value as a full-time employee after graduation.
- Gain valuable field-related work experience before graduating.
- Check out your interest in the field.
- Clarify your interests, strengths and weaknesses that need to be worked on.
- Find out about additional job possibilities.
- Develop your intellectual, problem-solving and leadership skills.
- Gain relevant experience and skills, giving you greater potential to be hired by the organization or business where you intern.
- Network with professionals in the field.
- Gain a sense of self-confidence and professionalism.
- Bring classroom learning to life.
- Increase your job marketability in the field.
- Narrow your focus and clarify your career goals.
Hilbert's partnership with many agencies and organizations provides for many internship sites from which to choose. Among internships recently completed included serving as a teaching assistant for courses in college writing and literature, as well as opportunities at elementary schools, Sister's Hospital Development Office, Hilbert's distance learning program and McGrath Library, and local newspapers.
Who to Contact
To find our more about internship requirements and agencies offering internships in English, contact:
Amy Smith, Ph.D.
Chairperson, Arts and Sciences Division
Paczesny Hall 161
649-7900, ext. 354
- Parent and Family Weekend
- Sep 21, 2014
- Transfer Friday
- Sep 26, 2014
- Show Your Hilbert Spirit: Sidewalk Chalk Competition
- Sep 22, 2014