All full-time and part-time students born on or after Jan. 1, 1957 are required to submit verification of immunization for mumps, rubella and measles prior to attending Hilbert. This form is included in the student health packet and must be returned to the Office of Student Life prior to making an appointment to register for classes.
There are two ways to meet these requirements:
- You may submit proof of prior immunization.
- You may obtain immunization from private doctors or public health departments and submit proof of immunization.
Since 1997, the American College Health Association (ACHA) has urged undergraduate college students, particularly freshmen who live or plan to live in resident halls, to consider getting the vaccine to reduce their risk for meningococcal disease. Hilbert College requires that all resident students receive the meningitis vaccination.
Meningococcal (bacterial) meningitis is a bacterial infection that causes inflammation of the membranes surrounding the brain and spinal cord. If not treated in time, meningitis can lead to permanent complications, such as brain damage or hearing loss and can be fatal.
The early symptoms usually associated with meningococcal disease include fever, severe headache, stiff neck, rash, nausea, vomiting, and lethargy, and may resemble the flu. Because the disease progresses rapidly, often in as little as 12 hours, students are urged to seek medical care immediately if they experience two or more of these symptoms concurrently.
The ACHA recommends the following groups consider vaccination:
- Entering college students, particularly those living in dormitories or resident halls, who elect to decrease their risk for meningococcal disease.
- Undergraduate students 25 years of age or under who request vaccination in order to decrease their risk for disease and are not pregnant.
- Students with medical conditions that compromise immunity (i.e., HIV, absent spleen, antibody deficiency).
- Students traveling to areas of the world with endemic meningococcal disease.
- For more information, stop by the Office of Student Life on the first floor of Franciscan Hall or call 649-7900, ext. 230 or e-mail us.
- Transfer Friday
- Sep 26, 2014
- Make Your Own Jersey - Hilbert College Kickoff!
- Sep 23, 2014
- Flag Football Games (Students v. Leaders) - Hilbert College Kickoff!
- Sep 23, 2014