"Service learning is a teaching and learning strategy that integrates meaningful community service with instruction and reflection to enrich the learning experience, teach civic responsibility, and strengthen communities." ~ Learn and Serve America
The mission of Hilbert College's Office of Service Learning is to enhance student learning through meaningful, relevant service in the community. The office promotes the involvement of students, faculty and community partners in meaningful service-learning activities that provide the opportunity for critical reflection to deepen the academic experience, inspire lifelong civic engagement and strengthen our local and global communities.
The Office of Service Learning strives:
- To enhance students' learning by applying classroom knowledge to practical experience by meeting needs in the community.
- To provide necessary infrastructure, including placement opportunities and resources, for faculty to incorporate service learning into their courses.
- To develop students' engagement in the community during their academic career and beyond.
Excerpts from Student Reflections
"It is the practical exercises, the hands-on experiences, and the knowledge of physically performing the task in a ‘real world’ setting that will last a lifetime. Yes, learning in a classroom is vital, but [taking] what has been taught in the class, and using it in a practical manner soon after it is taught, to me completes the lesson."
- Student in MA 135: Mathematical Applications, Community Partner: Hamburg Meals on Wheels
"Through the service work . . . performed at Mental Health Peer Connection, my desire to obtain my four-year degree in human services and then move forward toward a master's degree in counseling is no longer a dream, it is the opportunity that is waiting for me down the educational and vocational path of success. Service learning is a great opportunity to research career opportunities and personal growth."
- Student in HS 101: Intro to Human Services, Community Partner: Peer Mental Health Connection
Fall 2014 Service Learning Courses
BI 110 Modern Topics in Biology (All 3 sections)
BUS 200 Introduction to Business Management
CJ 204 Crime and Society (Sections 2 and 3 only)
EN 101 College Writing (Section 3 only)
EN 104 Advanced College Writing
HS 101 Introduction to Human Services (Sections 1 and 2)
HS/RH 210 Human Services and Rehabilitation Methods (All sections)
RS 202 Religion and Social Justice
RS 206 Franciscanism
For more information on Service Learning at Hilbert College, please contact: