Understanding Financial Aid

How to Apply for Financial Aid

Hilbert College federal student code is 002735

Hilbert College New York state "TAP" code is 2083

Understanding Financial Aid

Filing for financial aid can be confusing at times. If you have any questions, stop by the Office of Student Finance on the first floor of Franciscan Hall or contact us at: 716-649-7900 or studentfinance@hilbert.edu

Apply for Admission to the College
Do this as early as possible. Hilbert can make a financial award only after you are admitted to the college. Hilbert is on rolling admissions, so you may apply anytime. It is important to apply sooner rather than later to allow time to prepare, complete financial aid paperwork and register.

Complete the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA)
To apply for need-based aid, go to www.fafsa.ed.gov. List the Hilbert College, federal code 002735, on the form. You must file the FAFSA to be eligible for federal and state grants and loans, Hilbert scholarships, or work-study employment. 

For more tips on filling out your FAFSA, see one of our financial aid counselors or visit www.fafsa.ed.gov. You may also visit FAFSA4caster to receive an early estimate of eligibility for federal student aid.

What Information Will I Need?
Gather the following information before you fill out your FAFSA:

  1. Your driver’s license and Social Security card.
  2. Your federal income tax returns and those of your parents (for dependent students). Also, W-2 forms from the most recently completed tax year.
  3. Records of untaxed income, such as Social Security or AFDC benefits.
  4. Current bank statements.
  5. Records of stocks, bonds, and other investments.
  6. Business records.
  7. Your alien registration number if you are not a U.S. citizen.

If your tax forms are not complete, you can estimate your tax information and then forward a copy of both your taxes and your parents’ (for dependent students) to the Office of Student Finance once they are completed.

Submit Your FAFSA Before April 1 ( this is the ideal time, however, it is not a strict cutoff date)

We recommend you file a FAFSA between Jan. 1 and April 1 each year to ensure the best possible financial aid package. Aid applications should be filed before you begin your first year and every year you attend Hilbert.

Financial Aid Award Letter

Around March 15, we will begin sending out emails to the address listed on the FAFSA.  This email will direct you to your personal financial aid account. It will describe your financial aid package, including information on how much the government determines what you should be able to pay. This is called your EFC (estimated family contribution). The award letter will likely include loans, grants, and maybe even scholarships. After you review and understand the financial aid, you must accept or decline each award.  


Hilbert College
Office of Financial Aid
Franciscan Hall
5200 South Park Avenue
Hamburg, NY 14075