Newcomers to Hilbert inevitably ask where our name originates. It's a good place to start because the answer combines both our history and our philosophy.
The college is named after Mother Colette Hilbert, who, in 1897, established the Franciscan Sisters of St. Joseph, which became the college's founding congregation. In 1957, the community founded a teacher training college for its members; in 1969, having broadened its curriculum to include degrees outside of teacher training and expanded its enrollment to include both men and women, the institution officially became known as Hilbert College.
In 1992, Hilbert began to offer four-year degrees for the first time; today, it offers 13 four-year degree programs, including one of only a few Economic Crime Investigation programs in the entire country and the first undergraduate Rehabilitation Services Program in Western New York.
Hilbert College is an independent institution of higher learning that embraces its Catholic Franciscan heritage and values. Students from diverse backgrounds are educated in liberal arts and professional programs to become informed citizens committed to serving and strengthening their communities.
Hilbert's degree programs are registered by the New York State Education Department and the college is accredited by the Commission on Higher Education of the Middle States Association of Colleges and Schools, an institutional accrediting agency recognized by the U.S. Secretary of Education and the Commission on Recognition of Postsecondary Accreditation. The Commission on Higher Education is located at 3624 Market Street, Philadelphia, PA 19104. Telephone: (215) 662-5606.